Development Permit

Development Permits are required for all kinds of developments in the RM and organized hamlets. This includes additions, new construction, and renovations. The permit is free of charge but is still required. However, if there are any fees from advisory services in regards to the Development Permit, please note these charges will be charged back to the applicant.

Depending upon the nature of the permit, it may be necessary to a) advertise your intentions, or b) obtain permission from the RM Council. Therefore, it is important that you have your permit in to the office with plenty of time for the necessary actions to take place.

The Zoning Development permit checks for compliance with the Zoning Bylaw and Official Community Plan of the RM. You will receive a written response to your request. You may contact us by telephone or email for information pertaining to the status of the permit during normal office hours.


Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How long does it take to get a development Permit?
A: Permitted uses – if the application is straight forward (complies with the bylaws provisions) and complete (all information supplied) your development permit should be issued with 1 to 2 weeks time. Ensure you supply a telephone number on the application in order to make contact easy if more information is required.

Q: What provisions of the Zoning Bylaw should I be familiar with?
A: The Zoning Bylaw and Official Community Plan are long and complicated documents that don’t transfer to a condensed version easily. However, there are some basics you should be familiar with:

  • Buildings may not be closer to the property line than 100 feet on the side of the property that abuts a road allowance.
  • The Zoning Bylaw allows up to 3 houses per quarter section on a farmstead without subdividing.
  • Acreage sized between 5 and 20 acres are considered by Council, subject to various rules. (see subdivisions)